Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Nails on a Chalkboard

Just in the last 5 minutes that I've been logged on and reading a couple of articles on the net, I've wanted to claw my own eyes out twice because of things people wanting to sound "expert" have written. These fall under the heading Don't Use Unless You Want to Sound Like a Pretentious Git (and Have an Editor Kill You With a Blue Pencil):
  • Talking about selling a house at a "high price point" -- I will kill you unless you stop after "price." Get the point?
  • Advising a job applicant to include a skill summary so that the reader knows immediately their "value proposition." Dear heavens, who invented that pointless, jargony phrase? They are at the top of my list of people to visit with eggs tonight.
OK, that's all for now. I'm going to have a lie-down. After I brush the bad taste out of my mouth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I live so far away. I wouldn't want any eggs thrown my direction. (Although, I probably give you plenty of reason)

We supported the fireman's convention this year with a paid advertisement in the paper. The newspaper attributed to our office the quote "Thank you Smallville Volunteer Fire Dept. your dedication is appreciated."

Yes, they did. I wanted to chuck a few eggs myself.